Wednesday, January 9, 2008

DEATH & KILLING... IN SONGS


DEATH IN SONGS

Emma-HOT CHOCOLATE (1974)
Gloomy Sunday (interesting link)
Honey-BOBBY GOLDSBORO (1968)
In The Ghetto-ELVIS PRESLEY (1969)
Knocking On Heaven's Door-BOB DYLAN (1973)
Last Kiss-J. FRANK WILSON & THE CAVALIERS (1964), PEARL JAM (1999)
Living Years-MIKE & THE MECHANICS (1988)
My Beloved-VNV NATION (2002)
Papa-PAUL ANKA (1974 / flip-side on "You're Having My Baby")
Seasons In The Sun-TERRY JACKS (1974)
Sign 'O' The Times-PRINCE (1987 / In France A Skinny Man Died Of A Big Disease With A Little Name)
Tell Laura I Love Her-RAY PETERSON (1960), RICKY VALANCE (1960 / with his dying breath... my love for her will never die)
Where The Wild Roses Grow-NICK CAVE & KYLIE MINOGUE (1995)




POTENTIAL DEATH

All The World Loves Lovers-PREFAB SPROUT (cross our hearts and hope to die)
Anyone Who Had A Heart-CILLA BLACK (without you I die dear)
Be With You-BANGLES (every moment I’d die just to look in your eyes)
The Best-BONNIE TYLER, TINA TURNER (I would rather be dead)
Cross My Heart-EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL (...and hope to die)
Funny How Love Is-FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS (I thought I’d surely die)
Girl You’ll Be A Woman Soon-NEIL DIAMOND (I’d die for you girl)
I Can’t Say Goodbye To You-HELEN REDDY (without you I would die)
I Want To Live-GAVIN FRIDAY (I can't believe I ever said that I would die fo you)
I Will Survive-GLORIA GAYNOR (you think I’d lay down & die)
If You’re Not Here-MENUDO (I could die)
Maria-BLONDIE (it makes you wanna die)
My Generation-WHO (I wanna die before I get old)
Oh Carol-NEIL SEDAKA (if you leave, I will surely die)
Out On A Limp-TEENA MARIE (I would die for you)
Pet Sematary-RAMONES (smell of death)
There Is A Light... -THE SMITHS (to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die)
Without Her-BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS (I’d rather die then be)




LOVE NEVER DIES... OR MAYBE NOT

And I Love Her (Him)-BEATLES (my love will never die)
Concrete & Clay-UNIT FOUR PLUS TWO (love will never die)
Downbound Train-BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN (your love for me had never died)
The Last Waltz-E. H. (the flame of love died in your eyes)
Sheila-TOMMY ROE (true love will never die)




LOVE TILL DEATH DO US PART

Baby I’m Yours-BARBRA LEWIS (until I die)
Carnival Is Over-THE SEEKERS (I will love you till I die)
I Swear-ALL FOR ONE (till death do us part)
Never Never Gonna Give You Up-BARRY WHITE (I ll be right here until my dying day)
Romeo & Juliet-DIRE STRAITS (I’m gonna love you till I die)
She-CHARLES AZNAVOUR, ELVIS COSTELLO (till the day I die)
Sometimes When We Touch-DAN HILL (I wanna hold you till I die)
Working My Way Back To You-DETROIT SPINNERS (till the day I die)




KILLINGS (OR SORT OF)... IN SONGS

A View To A Kill-DURAN DURAN (1985)
Again-ARCHIVE (2002 / you’re killing me again)
Baby One More Time-BRITNEY SPEARS (my loneliness is killing me)
Bad Case Of Loving You-ROBERT PALMER (no pill is gonna kill my ill)
Bohemian Rhapsody-QUEEN (1975 / Mama, just killed a man, put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger now hes dead)
Burning Heart-SURVIVOR (it’s the passion that kills)
The Beautiful Ones-SUEDE (time to kill)
California Blue-ROY ORBISON (I’m just killing time)
Catch The Wind-DONOVAN (to kill my fears)
Dark Lady-CHER (1973)
Deja Vu-DIONNE WARWICK (killing time)
Delilah-TOM JONES (1968)
Endless Holiday-IT’S IMMATERIAL (kill time)
Highway Star-DEEP PURPLE (oooh its a killing machine)
Hotel California-EAGLES (1977 / but they just can’t kill the beast)
How Many Ways-MURRAY HEAD (1979 / I'd lean against bars, hopelessly killing time)
I Shot The Sheriff-BOB MARLEY (He said kill them before they grow), ERIC CLAPTON (Kill it before it grows)
Killed By Death-MOTÖRHEAD (1984)
Killing Me Softly-LORI LIEBERMAN, ROBERTA FLACK
The Killing Moon-ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN (1984)
Knocking At Your Back Door-DEEP PURPLE (1984 / It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase)
Let The Music Play-BARRY WHITE (I’ve got to hide what’s killing me inside)
Loser-BECK (I’m a loser baby so why don’t you kill me)
Mary Jane’s Last Dance-TOM PETTY (one more time to kill the pain)
November Rain-GUNS’N’ROSES (try to kill the pain)
Only When You Leave-SPANDAU BALLET (what’s killing me inside)
Sarah Yellin'-3 DOORS DOWN (2002 / now it's over, the mean old man is dead, lyin' on the ground, bullet in his head)
Sister Of Mercy-THOMPSON TWINS (Then he comes home one nightShe kills him with a knife)
Sixteen Ways-GREEN ON RED (they shot my babies but they killed my faith)
Sweet Thing-SKINNY (I’ll be a killer if you try to steal her)
Tonight-REAMONN (you killed me with your smile)
Tonight The Streets Are Ours-RICHARD HAWLEY (2007 / Do you know how to kill loneliness at last)
The Traveller-CHRIS DE BURGH (1980 / Suddenly remembered a killing, yes a murder many years before)




ABOUT DEATH IN GENERAL

A Girl Called Johnny-THE WATERBOYS
(don’t talk about life & death, I’ve had enough of both)
American Pie-DON McLEAN (the day the music died)
Bittersweet Symphony-VERVE (you’re a slave to money, then you die)
Cosmic Girl-JAMIROQUAI (I must have died & gone to heaven)
Crocodile Rock-ELTON JOHN (the rock just died)
Every Rose Has It’s Thorn-POISON (dead of the night)
Gangsta's Paradise-COOLIO (1995 / As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death... I'm livin life do-or-die ah)
Hey Hey, My My-NEIL YOUNG (rock’n’roll will never die)
I Don’t Wanna Be A Hero-JOHNNY HATES JAZZ (I don’t wanna die for you)
I Just Died In Your Arms-CUTTING CREW
In Jeopardy-ROGER HODGSON (who cares if we live or die)
In The Death Car-IGGY POP
John Barleycorn Must Die-TRAFFIC
Johnny-THIN LIZZY (1976)
One-U2 (have you come to raise the dead)
Out In The Fields-GARY MOORE (death is just a heartbeat away)
The Return of Pan-WATERBOYS (Pan is dead, long live Pan)
Shattered Dreams-JOHNNY HATES JAZZ (so much for your promises, they died the day you let me go)
Side-TRAVIS (we all will live we all will die)
Sleeping Satellite-TASMIN ARCHER (the dream that died)
The Snake-AL WILSON (1968 / You know your bite is poisonous and now I'm going to die)
Street Spirit (Fade Away)-RADIOHEAD (1995 / Cracked eggs, dead birds, scream as they fight for lifeI can feel death, can see its beady eyes)
Somebody To Love-JEFFERSON AIRPLANE (and all the joy within you dies)
Suspicious Minds-ELVIS (don’t let a good thing die)
This Is Not America-PAT METHENY featuring DAVID BOWIE (a little piece in me will die)
West End Girls-PET SHOP BOYS (Sometimes you’re better off dead)
When You Tell Me That You Love Me-DIANA ROSS (I wanna live a day that never dies)
You’re A Friend Of Mine-CLARENCE CLEMMONS
(you can call on me until the day you die)


No comments: